If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Guns, Germs and Steel





I recently started to read a real interesting book called Guns, Germs and Steel. I haven’t had a good chance to really dive into it yet, but so far it looks like its going to be really good. The premise of the book is the search for an answer to the following question—why did some civilizations in history advance politically, scientifically, and militarily while other civilizations were left in a literal stone age. It explores the origin of modern man and the factors and influences that would have led to these disparities and the subsequent conquering of less advanced civilizations by more modern. The most dramatic example perhaps being the conquering of the Americas by a vastly superior (at least in terms of technology and military) European race.

Hopefully the book doesn’t get too textbook on me, so far it hasn’t. I’ll let you know if it is worth reading when I’m finished.

1 comment:

  1. Was it worth the read, Jake? I'm a voracious reader and may see if the public library has a copy if you recommend it. Sounds interesting.

    Cheryl (aka freevolition)

    ReplyDelete