If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Life in Iraq has not changed too much in the last few days. Still boring. I actually asked for the day off today so that I could follow the NFL draft on ESPN.com, but apparently that didn't call under the mission plan for the day. So instead I headed out with the squad and did some route security.

Route security goes a lot like this-

Load squad in humvees.
Drive humvees up and down a major road for hours on end.
Wait for one of the following to happen- IED, ambush, or vehicle breakdown.

Today was vehicle breakdown. Apparently the humvee I was in decided it didn't want to make right hand turns anymore. I don't know for sure, but I think that's kind of mission essential. We were in the process of trying to hook up a tow bar, but realized that we were only about 400 m from one of the biggest ambush threats in the area. Cancel that idea.

So my driver was tasked with driving back to the FOB making only left turns. Meaning if he wanted to turn right, he had to put it in reverse and crank the wheel left. I'm sure the local populace was looking at us like we had lost our minds.

Humvees like to break a lot. Simple things too. Like doors. I'm not sure there is a humvee in the Marine Corps that has four working doors. The US can put a man on the moon but they can't give me a simple door that will unlatch and swing open.

5 comments:

  1. Jake, I am laughing out loud at work right now imagining you guys making only left turns to get around...I'm sure you had people wondering what in the world you guys were doing...

    Hopefully that gets fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that's weak. No way should our stuff not work over there. Sorry to hear you have to deal with that. Love the blog by the way, keep your chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jake I was at a tennis tournament today and the Notre Dame people were going crazy because the Wisconsin man got chosen before Brady. I just kept thinking of you and how that must of put a huge smile on your face. I know it would make your day. The next time one of those things doesnt turn you guys should just get out pick it up and turn it yourselves. I bet you could as strong as you all are. Ha HA.NM

    ReplyDelete