If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Well another week at the School of Infantry has passed. The slew of cool things to shoot and blow up has slowed down a bit, this week we spent out in the field doing day and night land navigation and some live fire squad assaults, the latter of which will be one of my topics to write about.

Live fire squad assault
translation: Take a 13 man squad full of Marines, most of whom aren't the sharpest tool in their respective shed, give them M16s with live ammunition, and attempt a coordinated assaulted on an objective, with individuals rushing foward of the line and the remaining individuals providing live cover fire over their heads.

what this means to me: I'm sitting on the line ready to do my assault, I look down the firing line to the left and right and see that my squad consists of the "who's who" in dumbass world. Then I realize that they all have 30 rounds of 5.56 ballpoint ammunition that they plan on shooting over my shoulders while I'm running. Needless to say, my pants almost developed a wet stain.

Enough of that. I'm currently writing this from a USO in San Diego. I would say sunny San Diego but I was walking through downtown earlier today amidst a hailstorm. Yes, a HAIL storm. Pretty funny to see a bunch of Ron Burgundy's running around not having any idea what it means to have ice falling from the sky. I think they thought it was Armageddon.

Did you know they have actual Ben and Jerry's shops? Yeah, I would get real fat real fast if I lived too close to the one here.

Attention Nathan Suh- you have to send me your email address so I can actually reply back to your posts!

Peace out world.

3 comments:

  1. nathan.suh@gmail.com

    Flags of Our Fathers is coming out as a movie directed by Clint Eastwood sometime in the next year. Should be quality.

    You stay classy Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is your cousin Christopher, I read your blog..... it's awesome. You must feel like you're in an Acecombat game(except you're on the ground not in jets lol). How does it feel to shoot a missile launcher, or carry 105 pounds of equipment but who's weighing? Have you been to the "Hodads" in San Diego if not you should go, their burgers are awesome. They're huge! We had some and it took my parents 5 days to eat one!!!!

    take care and be safe your cousin
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christopher. Good to hear from you! We haven't been in contact for a while. What I'm doing right now is awesome and its a lot of fun, but its definately not a video game...it really hits home often that its real life, and that what you are training to do isn't a game, none the less, that doesn't mean its exciting. Tell you parents I say hello.

    ReplyDelete