If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, March 23, 2008


Does somebody want to tell me why I'm fifth out of five contestants in the Wood family NCAA Tournament Pool? Yes, I'm getting beat by three girls (one of them my mother) and my dad (who hasn't watched a college basketball game since....I can't even come up with anything). But, no need for concern on my part. Why? Because I absolutely have the Wisconsin Badgers going all the way and bringing the title home, and that's where I'm gonna make my money. WHAT"S UP?

Happy Easter

God bless all of you this Easter. I was fortunate enough to get to a very nice Sunday church service with my whole family with only a few weeks left in the States. After the service we took the Palm Springs Air Tram to the top of the San Jacinto mountain, which was actually not as lame as I was expecting.






Friday, March 21, 2008

It is no secret that my unit is preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. As I approach that date I have been thinking about how I am going to continue this blog while I'm deployed. For anyone that read this website while I was in Iraq you know that I wrote it like journal, because that is what it was to me, the writings that I have been keeping for years, simply with a publish button at the end of it. But, now that I am with a different unit, with a very different and unique mission to be accomplished on this deployment, I am at a crossroads. I cannot possibly continue this website like I did last year in Iraq, both for operational security reasons and for reasons of safety for my family and friends. So, with that being said, I regret to say that I will no longer be publishing anything that involves my involvement in the Marine Corps on this blog.

I originally started this blog to keep in touch with family and friends from high school and college. It was my way of letting people know where I was. When I got to Iraq, it became a way for me to vent about what was going on around me. When it got big, and I still don't know how that happened, I didn't know how to respond. I decided that, after reading emails I was getting from random people around the country, my writings were helping people connect to the war. So I decided to continue. At the time I made sure that I wasn't violating operational security procedure and placing my unit at risk, but now I realize that that is not possible. Due to the covert nature of my new platoon's mission, I cannot possibly in good conscience continue to post in the manner that I do. There are plenty of good 'war blogs' out there, and I encourage you to read them to understand what your countrymen are doing overseas, however, this website will no longer serve that role.

I will continue to write about my personal life and antics as I always have. That being said, I expect the number of readers I have to drop by about 99%. If you are in the other 1%....well....God bless you....

Grad Pics







Finally Done

Well, that's it.

Do I feel any different? Not really. I guess I feel a little relieved that I don't have to show up at the school house on Monday, but overall its all the same. I'm glad I survived, that's all I have to say. I am certainly honored to be considered a part of the community and I will cherish that for the rest of my life.

With all that being said, out of respect for my instructors and fellow students, I won't be talking about anything that took place during School. I will only say that I had the pleasure of being taught by the finest and most professional men in the Marine Corps and learning alongside some of the brightest and best the fleet has to offer. It was truly an honor.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Only a week and a half left. March 20th is the day that a lot of us have been waiting for for a long time, and about 10 weeks ago I thought that it would never come. Fortunately for me my family is going to be coming out here for graduation and a little Easter weekend. Hopefully my battalion will be kind enough to give us that weekend off, but I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that we'll be working straight through.

We're having a quasi-bachelor party next weekend for Clay in San Diego. Nothing like rolling St. Patty's Day, a pre-deployment send off and a bachelor party all into one giant Gas Lamp District extravaganza.