If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

URGENT HAITI RELIEF

I knew I'd come out of retirement at some point...

As you should know, Haiti has been struck by a devastating earthquake. I am currently trying to hastily put together a plan to help out with some former Marine friends of mine. As of right now we feel that it is plausible to fly to the Dominican Republic and cross the border near Port au Prince overland. We will bring medical supplies, clothing and water purification devices. We have extensive field-trauma medical training, as well as the physical ability to pull people from the rubble.

We have looked into various disaster relief agencies, but they require too much red tape to make it a reality.

As of right now, the border with the DR is open. However, if it were to close, there are reports of field hospitals immediately on the DR side of the border.

We are asking you, the world, to help us with the cost of making this a reality. Ticket prices to the DR right now stand at $500, but we will priceline them last minute with the expectation that they will be cheaper. I have been contacting local fire departments asking for donations of medical supplies, but realistically we'll have some cost outlay there as well.

If you are willing to donate, please pay me via paypal, using my email jacobawood@gmail.com. If, for whatever reason this does not become a reality, I can either wire the money back to you via paypal (since I will have an electronic record of every transaction) or I will donate it to a disaster relief agency. You will have my email, so I will let you decide. If you have been reading this blog, you know me, and know that this is not a scam.







2 comments:

  1. Good luck Jake. Thanks for going in again, to serve and aid.

    David
    Scappoose, OR

    ReplyDelete