If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Alright, alright, I admit, I've been slacking big time on the posts and updates. No excuse really, I haven't exactly left the couch in five weeks.

Here's a quick run down, I'll expand on a lot of them later.

  • I finished up my initial 4 weeks of convalescent leave and went back to Pendleton for a check up. Status: still not fused. Result: I asked and received 4 more weeks of convalescent leave. For the first time in my four years I feel like I'm getting the better end of a Marine Corps deal. (of course I'm still on crutches though...)
  • I FINALLY have been promoted to Sergeant. Yes, the Marine Corps finally decided that I should wear the rank of the job I have been serving under for the last 3 years. Too little too late? Yeah, I have to admit I'm still a little jaded by the BS that went into it. The whopping $200 raise really pads the pocket book though.
  • The Six Man Volleyball Tourney in Manhattan Beach was incredible and everything I was hoping for, except that I had to do it on crutches. I seriously thought I may have had to amputate my foot with how swollen it got.
  • I have been working furiously on my graduate school applications. Stanford and USC are done, Northwestern and UCLA are in the works.
  • Last night I booked my first big trip, which I'll be taking in November to South America. I'll write up a good post on this one, because it's a pretty intense 3 week jaunt.
That's about it. Well, I guess I should probably add that I've become fat and lazy too, just sitting around on a couch all day.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sgt! It's nice to hear of the promotion, but sure hope the foot heals soon. It sounds like Mr Hunt's funraising effort is a worthy one....count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congorats on the promo, but, please do remember, the concept in place was "Strategic Corporal", not strategic sgt.

    You were where you needed to be, when you needed to be there doing what needed to be done, AND you fit the doctrine title.

    On a bit of an attempt to be serious...
    It is my understanding that the harder things got and the louder the msm cried about it (Fallujah, Al Anbar, Afghanistan, etc) the more young men drawn to the USMC wanted to become infantry.

    This, apparently, is the closest the USMC line units have gotten to full Table of Organization in over a generation. If that's true, then that had to be a bit traumatic on the whole promote process.

    Semper Fi, Marine. You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the promotion, Sgt. Jake! I hope the grad school applications go well! I'm working on mine as we speak. I hope the leg gets better too! Where in South America? Depending on where it is, I may be able to help (as I've been in that neck of the woods several times).

    ReplyDelete