If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

One Week Later

getting picked up an hour after surgery
taking the cast off on Tuesday
looks halfway normal

So here I am, Tuesday, July 16th, one week post surgery. I've been outside once, taken a couple of baths, watched more tv and surfed more internet and read more books than I ever care to in a 7 day stretch. Luckily my foot feels good. Real good actually. I haven't needed to take any pain meds the last two days, and when the doctor removed my cast on Tuesday, the swelling looked to be in control and the discoloration wasn't near what I thought it would be.

They're saying I'll be on crutches for ten weeks, which sucks. No way I'm going to let that fly. It would effectively mean I'm done doing anything for the Marines before I get out October 24th. Hard to take students on ruck runs when you're crutching around, and standing in front of a class teaching would be too difficult, not to mention pointless if I can't take them out to run drills on what I was teaching.

I guess we will just wait and see as things move along. I'm popping all the calcium, glucosamine, fish oil, and vitamin pills I can stomach, drinking the milk and protein, and thinking happy thoughts in an effort to change the outlook and timeline. Obviously I need to be healthy enough to hike the Inca Trail in November.

14 comments:

  1. Follow doctors orders. Last thing you need to do is try to force the pace and end up with a new gimp on that foot.

    With any luck, you can get a nice, comfy desk job for your last bit in the Corps. Then you can say you done it all.

    Jake the REMF. Has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're stuck with your foot the rest of your life. Suck it up and sit at a desk. You'll leave the service with a good foot. Don't be a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo makes you look like you are feelin' no pain. May the rest of your recovery be as painless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jake - glad to hear your recovery is going well. We've been praying for you. Oh, and thanks for the plug for milk! :o)

    DEMJEC and G

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's hard to sit when you are used to going...foot looks good though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake: Good luck in your recovery. Ortho injuries WILL catch up with you when you're older so listen to the docs, don't over do it...etc.

    Also, you and your readers might be interested in Michael Yon's latest regarding the Marines in Afghanistan (4th paragraph down). http://www.michaelyon-online.com/one-giant-leap.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, when do you receive your new assignment?
    Uniform of the day, Charlies?
    Guidance memo on proper wear for "Casual Fridays"?

    Getting yourself ready for the first time a grunt walks away from your desk muttering "damn Pogues!" under his breath?

    Don't stress, Marine. Just consider it pre-training for your deployment into the land of skeevy civvies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stick with the doctor's orders and stay on the crutches. I had the same corrective surgery on both feet (not at the same time). The first surgery was on my left foot and I ditched the crutches at first chance. The second time around, I decided to keep the crutches for the required time. That foot healed much faster and better than the left foot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toss those crutches. Show 'em you can put your full weight on that brand new foot. Tomorrow maybe. Heck, do it tonight. What do docs know? I've got fifty bucks you'll be leading the Pasadena Doo-Dah parade in a Hoveround when you're fifty. I could use a little help here.

    Yeah. I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've figured out why Jake aint posted lately.

    Hey, Jake, it's not true!

    You dont HAVE to get castrated when you're assigned a pogue job. It is completely optional.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like the pee cup in the pic, hah hah

    ReplyDelete
  12. one week later was a long time ago, Marine.

    5th General Order!

    You aint been relieved from your post at this here blog gizmo yet.

    Report your post and let us know how you're healing up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, wandered onto your blog whilst looking for marines.

    Recovery sucks for a person of action. I have had 2 surgeries in the last year and keep reinjuring myself. I have had to get all zen and peaceful and let the healing do its thing. I swear by the homeopathic remedy 'Arnica Montana'.

    Oh and Hi, Im Rose

    ReplyDelete