If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Saturday Rally

I've been battling some sort of bug for the past two weeks, it's actually been going through our entire instructor staff. I thought that I had it beat this week, until we began running our end of course missions, and I had to sleep outside for a few nights in 45 degree weather. That kind of set me back a few steps on the road to recovery. I did what I thought was a relatively mature thing last night and stayed in, something I'm attempting not to repeat tonight. I'm digging deep to beat this swine flu into submission so I can enjoy the Bulls game and the Hatton-Pacquiao fight tonight.

Speaking of the Pacquiao fight, I'd like to discuss an argument I had with my buddies down here. During the last Pacquiao-Hatton fight in November, an argument began about whether I could last, no, survive, ONE ROUND against Manny Pacquiao. Note that I do not claim that I would WIN this single round, only that Pacquiao would not be able to knock me out. Don't get me wrong, he's pound for pound one of the best boxers in the world, but he is only 140 pounds. I 100% think I'd get bloodied pretty good, but considering I have about 11 inches of height on him, 100 pounds of weight, I think I could keep my gloves up and absorb enough of his blows for 3 minutes to make it out alive. Let me know, what do you think? If anyone knows Manny, Joe said he's willing to bet $10,000 on it, so let's set this thing up...


Really? This guy is going to beat me in one round?


Okay, this is slightly more impressive...

5 comments:

  1. With your reach, you should be able to stay - maybe even take him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will he be able to use the weapon in the top photo? Does not seem like a fair fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marines don't do defense, you know that. Herd him into a corner and pound him.

    If you did have to do defense, just cover your middle. He couldn't even reach your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, how about this?
    If you need motivation to win a fight, try this on for size.

    If you don't knock the dude out, you get to spend every night, 12-4 firewatch for the rest of your contract. And, confined to quarters with no beer, no whisky, no woman for the duration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah....as humorous as that top photo is, it is suggestive enough to make me wonder if his Pinoy boxing background includes a broader training to include Filipino weaponry?

    Although it's difficult to find in conventional history books, the way I hear it, modern boxing got a big boost of evolution from the experience of American Marines in the Philippines around the turn of the century, after the Spanish-American War. Back then, pugilists used to stand very upright with little in the way of footwork, holding their fists palm up in the English style (think, old west movies). Americans observed that Filipinos held their guard up much tighter, used more footwork and evasion. That's because their method of boxing was directly related to their methods for fighting with double daggers. With the blade, you didn't stand toe-to-toe, exchanging blow-for-blow.

    ReplyDelete