If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

I'm going to take a moment to wish everyone out there a very Happy Easter. Easter is one of those days that really forces you, no matter how religious you are, to sit there and look at an honest reflection of your life.

Whether the Easter story is true or simply fable to you, the power of the story causes you to think about your own life. What do I have in my life worth suffering and dying for? Who in my life would do the same for me? For me personally, knowing that in my hometown of Bettendorf, Iowa, my mom and dad are sitting in church, praying for me, my friends and my Marines, comforts me. Knowing that sitting here, 2,000 miles away, I can go up the street and my friends and my friends' families will invite me in for an Easter brunch, not even blinking at setting an extra plate out, comforts me. And knowing that while I was 10,000 miles away in both Iraq and Afghanistan, on days like today, that I had five nieces and nephews praying like only 6 year olds can pray (for me to come back from 'Africa'), and that my safety was on the hearts and minds of thousands of people I've never met, comforts me.

So many times people ask me why I joined the Marine Corps, and most often I give some cookie-cutter answer, like "didn't feel like wearing a suit," "patriotic duty," or the best one "Uncle Sam called, I just picked up the phone" (I have obviously NEVER used that last one). But the truth is, I joined because there are bad people in this world, whether they're bad because of daddy issues, religious issues or "damn life sucks because I was born in Afghanistan" issues, and, as I look at all the people in my life- my family, friends, and neighbors, they're all good. I joined so that the people that God has blessed me with, all the good people that love me, will never, ever, have to cross paths with those that would do them harm. I'm not writing this to garner kudos, I'm putting this all out there as a thank you to everyone special to me. Thank you for blessing my life and giving me something worth fighting for.

Happy Easter.

11 comments:

  1. No Jake, thank you! You do our country proud, as a serviceman, as an American as a human you are one of the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You.

    Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for literally laying down your life for those you love and for those you don't even know. May you truly learn the spiritual side of that also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Bag Blog said ! Thank you, Jake. And may Our Lord continue to bless you and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Jake. You are very special to our family. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks for the wedding!
    Blessings to you. I hope you had a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is something that I thought you could blog about... Manditory Volunteering. Anyone from the ages of 21 - 35 will be force to volunteer for the government atleast 100 hours a year. Here is the site...

    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1444

    I would like to hear you views on this after serving the government and the country for 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. brought tears to my eyes. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, thank you! Thank you for defending this wonderful country and for doing your part in making this a better place for my 4 year old daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I noticed no photos of your favorite Aunt! How could that have happened??

    ReplyDelete