If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Back to it

Just got back from a very relaxing, perhaps not needed, but certainly appreciated week of leave. Indra and I hopped on a plane to attend her sister's wedding and found ourselves on a beach for about 5 days. Not bad. Beats Iraq, beats Afghanistan, certainly beats 29 Palms, and definitely has a leg up on Pendleton. I'll post some pics when I can.

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased that I didn't have the chance to fill out an NCAA tourney bracket, my obvious choice for the National Champion managed a loss to Xavier in round two... that more or less ruined an afternoon of pina coladas for me.

What else... oh yeah, I am once again chasing my sergeant promotion. I'd rather not talk about it, but lets just say the cutting score jumped to an unheard of level for 0311's this month. I'm apparently just not sergeant material. I've been denying it, but getting out a corporal in October is looking more and more like a real possibility. If that's the case I'm just gonna stop doing things the right way and start working on my civilian hair cut and beard. That way I can get promoted to Master Pirate Hunter of the Seven Seas and forget about sergeant.

8 comments:

  1. Whining maybe, quitter never. Just redirecting the bar, setting new goals, aquiring a new paradigm. Man, Pirate Hunter sounds like a man who understands his grog, or rum, or whatever.

    Good luck Jake on whatever path you take. We continue to enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you too short to be sgt now (about 7 mo to go)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! But I do hear piracy is booming right now. You'll have to watch out for the 5th Fleet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just recently stumbled onto your blog..I really enjoying reading your point of view. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Face it bro- we just apparently aren't retarded/moto/gay enough to get promoted. 18?? WTF! Oh well, i'm on terminal leave as of Friday. Fuck it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you too old to be a Sgt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that you didn't make the 'Cutting Score' for that 3rd stripe.
    I've been following Jarhead's site and when he talks about the 'Cutting Scores' I seem to find myself with crossed eyes and a dumb look on my face while I scratch my head.
    It's really has a lot to understand and now the PT tests are starting to be different and also a lot harder.

    I will never ever call you a quitter because you have given this Country and its People 4+ years of your life and several of them on the firing line.
    You take care of yourself and remember....

    ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE

    Semper Fi and WhooooooRah Marine!!

    Miss Em
    Austell, Ga.

    ReplyDelete