If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Very, Very Sore

Ahhh, so we're about halfway through the sniper screening. Unfortunately, our friend Ryan Koehler did not show up. We really had a slot for you buddy, wish you could have come, I'm sure you had a legit excuse.

Regardless of Ryan, let it be known that it has been quite some time since I have been this sore. Our platoon doesn't really believe in running a screening where the cadre stand around and say go run 5 miles, if we're gonna physically thrash, we're gonna be right there alongside you. That being said, Thursday was the first time I'd done a boots and utes run in quite some time, and, six miles later, I was feeling every step. Then, when we decided to take them on a sandbag run (use your imagination) we were once again, right there alongside. For those CrossFitters out there, I also demoed a Fran for them, and then ran them through. I definitely had to psych myself up to do a Fran after all the other stuff we'd been doing. Combine that with the 4 hours of sleep average and you have a very sore, tired and cranky cadre staff.

The whole point of this and the constant academic testing is to show these guys that we have standards for this platoon that we refuse to lower, rise and meet them on a consistent level or stop wasting both of our time.

So we have about 3 days left, many evolutions of training still on the table. We've had about 40% of the guys that came out drop already, and we're interested to see who shows Monday morning.

4 comments:

  1. So, what was your Fran time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you get to even show up for school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This aspect of the Marines always stuck with me.

    No matter how hard the training or how long the hours, when I'd finally get the chance to konk out, the instructors or SNCOs/Officers were still up.

    When I woke up after however short a sleep period was available, those same instructors or SNCOs/Officers were up before me.

    It was one of those things that helped me and my fellow Marines stay out of the pity pit when things got tough. If it wasn't breaking them, it wouldn't break us either.

    ReplyDelete