If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Monday, February 09, 2009

Fran/ CrossFit

It seems every time I post something about a particular CrossFit Workout that Tim, Shawn and I do, I get bombarded by emails from people wondering A) what it is, and B) what our time was. I suppose I'm running out of things to write about lately, so if there are a bunch of CrossFitters on here, I may as well post some times.

So Fran.

I hate Fran. If you have ever done CrossFit, and met Fran, you'll know why. CrossFit usually names their workouts after one of two things- war heroes or women (kinda like hurricanes). That being said, Fran is the 'benchmark' by which your CrossFit fitness is measured. Its simple, brutal, and absolute. You and the bars. You versus the clock. 3, 2, 1, GO.

21 reps 95 pound thrusters
21 reps pullups
15 reps 95 pound thrusters
15 reps pullups
9 reps 95 pound thrusters
9 reps pullups.

That is it. Probably sounds pretty simple, not too bad, maybe even easy. Try it.

So I took the class into the CrossFit facility on base. We'd obviously been running around in boots for two days. Thursday we did 2 timed three mile runs in boots, plus whatever 'extra' work found it's way in there (again, the instructors are doing this alongside them, first to cover our 'hazing' bases, and second to prove that we all meet the standard). Friday morning was a 3-4 mile sand bag run.

So Fran. I didn't want to demo it. I really didn't. I thought it was a bad idea. I was sore, I was tired. My knee kinda hurt. I had another workout planned for later in the day. I realized I was making excuses. Time to 'man' up.

3...2...1...Go. I finished in 4:31. Far off my personal best, but better than I expected to do on that day.

Today, Monday, was "Cindy", another staple CrossFit workout. Set the clock for 20 minutes, complete as many rounds in those 2o minutes of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats. I came in with 22, Tim had 24, and Shawn came in with 19. Before we completed Cindy though, we did 5 sets of 3 max weight on deadlifts (we're toying with a 'hybrid' program to work on our strength a little bit more). I was a little disappointed with my last set of 3- 365 pounds, which is a lot of weight obviously, but I think I could have pulled more off the ground as a senior in high school.

So there you go. Feel free to email me or post about how you CrossFit better than Marine Snipers, really you won't hurt my feelings. Seriously, could be fun to know how many 40 year olds out there reading this would smoke me in Fran, could be motivating.

Oh, and here's a YouTube video of a guy doing about a 2 minute Fran LINK

5 comments:

  1. That stuff is insane. My agency is loaded with guys doing crossfit and I'll probably end up out there with them, flipping tires and shit.

    That is some serious shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the Crossfit called Erin. It involves a lot of sitting behind a desk and then 20 minute cycles of lifting heavy loads of laundry with an occasional stretch to the top shelf to put away dishes. It's the one I do every day. And I'm good at it. :o)

    Congrats on the new position!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With "Cindy", are you doing weighted squats or just bodyweight? Thanks!

    BTW, I tried Fran the other day for the first time and did it it 3:45!!!! Mind you, I am a very weird person, as push-ups, chin-ups, and max rep squats are an obsessed hobby of mine. I'm pretty confident I can do it in UNDER 3:00 minutes. I will admit, however, that I was totally whipped after I did Fran. My buddies will not even attempt it. Figures....they're bodybuilders. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing Fran tomorrow...very excited about finally RXing her!
    crossfitswportland.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran would be all fair and well if I could manage more than a couple of pullups! Currently Fran may take around 7 dayd :)

    ReplyDelete