If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Lone Tree Elementary

I suppose before I write about what I set out to discuss I'll say that I'm alive and New Year's Eve did not swallow me whole. Oddly enough, people seem to worry more about my safety when I'm approaching and tackling a major party holiday then when I'm out in a combat zone. Well, NYE was great, spent it in Chicago with a few friends, some of whom the Badger fans that frequent this board would recognize. I'll post pictures another time.

Alright, enough about that. Tonight I'm driving up to visit my two sisters, Sarah and Meghan, up in Iowa City. Tomorrow I'm visiting my sister Meghan's new 4th grade class to discuss fierce firefights and sniping techniques. Kidding. I'll probably talk about how culture and geography and local wildlife and what the kids do (...scout for the Taliban, carry weapons, etc.)... you know, the fun stuff.

It should be interesting. Last year I spoke to her kindergarten class, which was quite an experience. This year, the kids are a little older, and obviously probably a little more aware. I'm a little worried that the questions I get won't be as easy to handle as last year- "Ummm... I forgot what I was going to ask" or "Did you ride ponies in Iraq? Unicorns?". Seriously, I know what 4th grade ME would have asked a Marine just coming back from the Gulf Storm. Top of the list- "Did you ever shoot a gun?" Second- "We're you ever blown up??". Entirely inappropriate, but that's what 4th grade boys are- inappropriate.

So, wish me luck, hopefully there are not too many 'cringe' moments.

Here's last year's post Lucas Elementary and a follow up here

7 comments:

  1. I've got a 3rd grader and he usually wants to know about body parts and internal organs. And gas. Good luck Marine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You. You are so cool. My father and brother are Marines. Semper Fi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do fine; in fact, you will be a star.

    Glad to know you made it through NYE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Anon 8:20....those 4th graders will probably want to know about body parts, and gory stuff...but you'll do great; you're a Marine! The uniform alone will be enuf to "WOW" them. Too bad you can't take your weapon, too...that would really be a show stopper. Anyway, enjoy your star moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. When my brothers came to visit, my 5th grader took them to school and this one smartass kid asked "So why aren't we allowed to ask if you've ever killed anyone?"

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete