If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Austin James Mappin

This past Friday I was on my way out of town to go up to Milwaukee when I got a text message from one of my best friends, Tommy Mappin.-

“Austin James Mappin was born at 8:59 am 1/9/09, 20 inches, 8.46 pounds, mom and baby are doing well.”

He then followed to me specifically-

“Jake, sorry we didn’t get a hold of you for the video taping, come visit”

I may or may not have convinced Angela that I was going to crash the delivery room with an HD camera to capture the moment on video. I think it might have freaked her out a bit.

Well, Austin, Angela and Tommy, congratulations. You are officially the first of my close friends to take the plunge into parenthood. Austin is the first kid I’ve ever trusted myself to hold, and I could tell he had an instant affinity for me. Yup, Crazy Uncle Jake and Austin are going to have LOTS of quality time Angela. LOTS. Scared yet?

I see a moment 8-10 years from now going something like this. I’m sitting in the Mappin’s living room, Austin on my knee, Miller Lite in hand, telling stories about the time I spent pirate hunting in the Philippines. “So there I was…” Angela calls from the kitchen, “Austin, could you come here a second?” Austin gets up and runs to the kitchen, I then hear Angela say in a hushed tone, “I told you, you are NOT to be alone with Crazy Uncle Jake for story hour!”

1 comment:

  1. You could take lessons on what not to say from my daughter who is in constant trouble with my daughter-in-law. "Aunt Jes, you're not suppose to say 'butt!' You can say bottom or hiney."

    ReplyDelete