If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Nathaniel Blake Lucas

I received the following email this morning:

Jake,

James Eckles is the son of a high school friend of mine. Dave keeps me informed of James's status. It is through him that I came to know about Blake Howie and Nathaniel Windsor. Holding them and all my brothers in the Profession of Arms close to my heart, my wife and I have chosen Nathan and Blake's name to carry on. On 1 DEC 2008, Nathaniel Blake Lucas was born in to this world in Ocean Springs, MS. He has spent the last 7 days in the NICU recovering from lung problems. Like his two namesakes, he is a fighter. Here is my blog entry where we decided what to name our third son:

http://lucasbabywatch.blogspot.com/2008/11/whats-in-name.html

Please send me anything about these two warrior/heros that I can pass on to my son.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and all warriors.


If you didn't read my blog while I was in Iraq you probably do not recognize the names Blake Howey and Nathan Windsor.  They both deployed with me to the Anbar province with 3rd Platoon, Golf Co.  Within the first two months, both had been killed by insurgents; Blake in an IED while we were on patrol, and Nathan during a raid on an insurgent checkpoint.

I've never met the man who sent me this email,  nor did he ever meet the two Marines whom he named his own child after, but what a tribute.  Nathan and Blake were both great kids, and their memories are now cemented in the lives of a family that they touched only through their sacrifice.  


4 comments:

  1. That is an outstanding tribute to your friends. Remarkable people inspire remarkable deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Remo said!

    I didn't start reading your blog until you'd been in Iraq for a few months. I'm not sure how I found out about it, probably a link from Blackfive. When I found your blog, though, I went back and read every post, often through a blurry screen. And I've been reading ever since. You've touched a lot of people, young man. I'm honored to be among them.

    Now I've got to go tell Mr Lucas what a fine thing he and his wife have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake, I agree with Remo and Maggie. That a stranger chose to name his son after two of your friends is a great tribute to those young heroes and to their service. Mr & Mrs Lucas have given their son a great name, as a wonderful tribute to those who have given so that we may live in freedom.

    ReplyDelete