If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

GMAT

For all the curious people out there, the GMAT on Saturday went just fine.  I have to admit, I was a little more nervous than I expected, I guess that happens when you haven't taken an important test in a while and your intellect has been beaten down with a blunt object by the Marine Corps for three and a half years.  I was nervous enough Friday night that I actually walked across the street from the sleazy motel I was staying in and bought a beer at a 7-11 (I know, I know, class act all the way through).  Once I arrived at the test center though, things started falling into place.  I went into the restroom and performed my typical pre-test ritual of looking at myself in the mirror and convincing myself that I actually AM smart, and once the clock started ticking on the actual exam I went into the zone.

As good as I felt about how the test went, I wasn't so sure that I instantly clicked 'score test'.  You see, at the end of the exam, you have 10 minutes to choose whether to cancel your score or have it graded.  If you cancel it, your score report shows up saying that you sat for the exam but chose not to have it graded, obviously for people feeling that they blew it.  Otherwise, you click on score test and you have an instant score.  Of course there was no way I wasn't going to have mine scored, but I did sit there for a minute or two and think back to a few of those math problems that made me cross-eyed.  Eventually I clicked it and received my score, holding my breath for the brief moment it took me to find it on the screen.

So I finally have that little hurdle behind me.  I didn't blow the doors off the exam, but I scored well enough that I'm not worried about getting in anywhere I want to go.  Now I suppose the next step is visiting some schools with my dad in January and working on translating my resume from "scout sniper looking for pirate hunting job" to "Precision battlefield instrument seeks academic opportunities through which to advance leadership potential and gain valuable analytical tools for today's business environment."  I think I just threw up in my mouth. 

7 comments:

  1. Jake, you are indeed a work of art. If you right about going anywhere you want with your score that means you are better than a 720. So knowing you are not one to exaggerate your personal accomplishments, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you want to join the Masters of the Universe? Northwestern University has a three year combo program for a bis/law degree. That way you can have a license to steal and prosecute yourself at the same time.

    Congrats on the test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on passing that test! Loved the story and love your writing style. You will go far in life young man! Oh, btw..I am having computer issues and if for some reason I am not able to post my comment under my follower link...I'll do it as anonymous like I did previously! Blessings, Lisa/Cw2smom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Jake. Looking forward to following your next adventure. And man, am I grateful for your service, and that you are home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure putting the GMAT behind you was very satisfying. Having followed your blog for a while, I know that you are a smart young man and will do very well. Besides, there is always some school willing to take your money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out the Texas A&M MBA program. Bet you would like College Station/Bryan.

    ReplyDelete