If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Rock the Vote

If you have read this blog for a while you know that I try my best not to let my personal politics read through in my posts. I do this for a whole host of reasons, but primarily I think that it's because I find my own politics constantly evolving. Going from high school to college, to the Marine Corps and on to Iraq and Afghanistan, times of not collecting pay checks and periods where I do, my views are changing all the time. There are issues that I was once so passionate about that I now find myself completely indifferent on, and issues that I at one time didn't even know existed that now infuriate me. I try not to write about these things because I don't want to ever come back to my own writing and think to myself, "what juvenile, unimformed, closed-minded thinking".

Enough on that. The purpose of this post is for me to explain to you how important tomorrow is.
Tomorrow is important because it's an opportunity to demonstrate once again that the greatest experiment in the history of politics is proving a better way to govern. We all have our reasons for voting for whomever we cast for tomorrow, but our differences and vision for the direction of this country will be decided in a voting booth and not on a battlefield, and after having served and fought on battlefields and in countries where historically differences are settled with blood, it is refreshing to return at this crucial time in our country's history. I can't imagine too many people who read this blog are indifferent to the outcome of the election, but don't just hold yourself to a high standard of civic duty, hold your friends, neighbors and relatives to that same standard. Don't take no for an answer, and certainly don't let them tell you that their vote won't make a difference. Because in Afghanistan, not being able to make a difference means not having any ammo, and they would kill (no pun intended) to have the chance to change things with only a vote.

Go Rock the Vote.

2 comments:

  1. This reminded me of Lord of War when then old salt gun dealer who 'doesn't just sell guns, he takes sides' says: "Bullets change governments far surer than votes."

    I commend you on calling people out on their civic duty. I work in a call center and told everyone I spoke with today to get out the vote. I even emailed some people polling location information. It's important Dammit!

    ReplyDelete