If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reading List

Since so many people sent me books while I was in Afghanistan, I figured I'd try to compile a list of the one's I can remember reading.  This list comes nowhere near representing all the books that I received, only the ones I was able to keep out of the claws of everyone else in my tent.  It seemed that everytime mail would make it through to us, guys would gather around my rack and books seemed to instantly disappear out of my grasp.

So, in no particular order-

Term Limits- Vince Flynn
Transfer of Power- Vince Flynn
Memorial Day- Vince Flynn
Protect and Defend- (you guessed it) Vince Flynn
Dear Mom, A Sniper's Vietnam- Joe Ward
The Killer Angels- Michael Shaara
Gods and Generals- Jeff Shaara
The Last Lecture- Randy Pausch
Endor's Game- Orson Scott Card
Somebody's Gotta Say It- Neil Boortz
To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee
Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
Rumor of War- Phil Caputo
The Things They Carried- Tim Obrien
On Combat- Col. David Grossman
Bringing Down the House, How Six Students Took Vegas for Millions-  Ben Mezrich
The Places Between- Rory Stewart
Tom Sawyer- Mark Twain
Huck Finn- Mark Twain
Ronin, A Marine Sniper Platoon in Iraq- Mike Stuart
Shooter- Jack Coughlin
Kill Zone- Jack Coughlin
Into Thin Air-  Jon Krakaur
Fight Club- Chuck Palahniuk
Angels and Demons- Dan Brown
Wicked- Gregory Maguire
Militant Tricks- H. John Toole
Macroeconomics, 4th Edition
GMAC GMAT Prep

That's about all I can come up with right now off the top of my head.  As you can see, Vince Flynn is my guilty pleasure, his character Mitch Rapp makes me want to rock out in the CIA.  I actually did read 'Pride and Prejudice', after convincing myself and my tent mates that the combination of Jane Austen knowledge and rubik's cube solving ability would make me a force with the ladies...if they love lame English lit and happen to have a rubik's cube laying around.  A lot of the books I had read before- Angels and Demons, Things They Carried, and a few more, but were good enough to read again when books were scarce.  Wicked was surprisingly good in my opinion, and I think I'll pick up the sequel soon.  The Shaara books are awesome accounts of the Civil War, and I brought home a few more that people sent and plan on reading them soon.  The Macroeconomics book was my attempt to relearn something I probably should have learned better the first time around.

There it is, off the top of my head.  If you don't see a book that you sent, chances are I either brought it home in my incredibly over-packed sea bag, or another guy grabbed it and utilized it.  

Thanks again for shipping me my own private war zone library.

5 comments:

  1. That is funny - as I read through your list, I saw "Pride and Prejudice" and thought, "What the heck? He must be trying to impress the girls."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake,

    Vince Flynn is great - glad you liked it too. Thanks for posting about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jake - the GMAT sucks - good luck studying for it! Also, I recommend "Three Cups of Tea" co-authored by Greg Mortenson and someone else whose name escapes me at the moment. It's really interesting and I feel like you would have strong opinions about it since you were just in their part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider the ladies impressed. Props for reading Jane Austen when few girls do anymore. :)

    I found you through the USO girls - my brother's a milblogger too.

    Oh, and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you like Ender's Game? That is probably one of my all-time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete