If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Friday, August 22, 2008

August Update on Jake

I was able to talk to Jake again (8/21). He had just returned from a lengthy mission. He was in good spirits especially since when he got back to base they had received mail in a supply convoy and there were several packages from friends and family. He again asked me to pass on his gratitude and apologize for not being able to do it personally. The region is a hornets nest of taliban activity and they are being engaged regularly. As has been already mentioned in the media, the 2/7 Marines have been extended 30 days and seemed ok with that. Please include in your prayers Jake's comrades Cpl. Anthony G. Mihalo, 23, of Naperville, Ill. and Lance Cpl. Juan Lopez-Castaneda, 19, of Mesa, Ariz. who were KIA last week.

We spent a lot of time talking about the Olympics and world news. He is totally removed from any kind of outside news sources. His sister told him about Brett Favre and he was stunned. I told him about Michael Phelps, Shawn Johnson and the Redeem Team's trials and successes and he was delighted.

He wanted to know the current and surrounding events with the Russia-Georgia situation. He had no idea it was going on so he had a lot of questions.

He said he was finally able to be around when there was outbound mail collected and he threw in a thumbdrive with some current pictures, so I will put some up when we get them.

I have a favor to ask of Jake's friends, I have a friend's son who is competing in a contest and is asking for support. His name is Dillon Morely

A little about Dillon ... Dillon is in 6th grade in Moline Illinois. He does a lot of things with his brother who has Downs Syndrome and spends some time helping out special Olympics..

Dillon passion is racing and he has been doing it for 3 years , right now is 10th out of 37 in the Midwest under the route 66 series ,, and # 2 at his home track in Delmar Iowa... ( but only a few points away from 1st ) ...he helps out by taking care of his kart and is always concerned about how much this is costing. He acts older then his age.

Please click on the link below. 8 videos will appear ... Dillon's video says,,,," Dillon's Go Kart" or something similar. Please highlight all 5 stars till they turn red and then click on #5 star.
He is a good kid and we would both appreciate your support.




Here is the link



Badgerdad

7 comments:

  1. Badger Dad, thanks again for the Jake-update. He remains in my prayers, as I know he is in so many other folks. I'm so sorry to hear about his compatriots. It's sad when anyone is killed or injured, but when it impacts someone you know (even only thru the blog-o-sphere). Please pass our thoughts to Jake when you next talk to him, and stay strong yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake--you and the Marines you work with are our heros. Somebody please let us know Jake could use anything else from home and if there is time for packages to reach him before he redeploys to the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to read this blog regularly and maybe I posted once or twice. I've not read this in a few months and I decided to go back and re-visit. Boy, have I missed a lot!
    I'm writing because 4 days ago, I received an email from a friend that I hadn't spoken to in about a year. It was just an email of soldiers who had been KIA, I believe a year ago to the day of the email. Yesterday when I got the list of soldiers for 8/21/07, I thought I should put them all in a blog and try to get word out somehow as a tribute. I asked my friend not to forget to keep emailing me that daily list so I can add them to the blog.

    I'm sending the link to you in hopes that you can help spread the word. I'll be putting this link on my myspace page as well as my email signature (personal and work) and my other personal blogs.

    I started to read this blog when it was in the NY Daily News and I continued to read it because it was interesting...even after Jake was home, it's still nice to read about someone you've "met" even though they know nothing about you. He's really a fantastic writer...it's all about captivating your audience and he does that for me.

    My prayers are with him and all the others out there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://rememberthemtoday.blogspot.com/

    LOL...leaving the link would help wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jake's Dad,

    Are they still looking for reading material? Also, a rough estimate of when we'd have to send stuff to ensure it actually gets to Jake et all in their AO.

    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 08/25/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin,

    reading material is very much desired by Jake and his fellow Marines. I am confident that packages sent in the next couple months will arrive before they rotate back. Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete