If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Blister Recovery Day 2

I've been taking it easy the last couple of days, trying to let some air get on my feet. The total blister count ended at 10, 2 of those being blood blisters that have worked their way underneath my toe nails, paints a pretty picture, huh? My heels also look like raw hamburger.

The recovery involves about a gallon of hydrogen peroxide, bacitracin cream, and flip flops. Funny thing is, flip flops aren't authorized civilian attire in the Marine Corps (yes, the Marines try to tell me what to wear when I'm not at work). This means that when I want to go eat at the chow hall, I have to put on shoes, and tear up all the progress that I've made all day. I then come back to my room, remove my shoes and now bloody socks, and start back at square one.

Luckily I've been able to go out in town and get some blister supplies, so now when I report back in to work, I can use something other than duct tape on my feet, although the duct tape actually worked pretty well.

6 comments:

  1. Jake, have you ever tried a product called "New Skin"? It will hurt like hell whey you put it on, but it may help. I have had to use it several times on my hands after long windsurfing sessions.

    Hope all is well, aside from the sore feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently duct tape bandages really work...no kidding, I saw duct tape bandaids for sale in the grocery store yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy glue my friend. New Skin hurts like hell and works, but tends to slide off if the blister is still, uh, gooey. Crazy glue works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Advanced Healing Blister products from Band-aid work wonders - http://www.band-aid.com/productList.do?typeId=4#anchor12

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will they ever fix the comment page to take urls...

    for the blister products above, just use http://www.band-aid.com/productList.do?typeId=4

    and scroll down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading a bit between the lines, this must be some hella good (hard) training.

    You're a grunt, of course. Long accustomed to being on your feet and conducting foot patrols over long distances and many hours per day.

    I doubt you have soft or overly sensitive feet and don't know the ins's and outs's of foot care and toughening.

    Training that can tear a grunt's feet up... that's an ouch fest.

    ReplyDelete