If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas

I just wanted to take a moment and wish all of you a very Merry Christmas. I wont try and be poltically correct and wish you a happy anything else, becasue quite honestly I'm completely ignorant to all the other holidays taking place around this time of year. So I'll throw a Merry Christmas out there and you can throw it back if you choose.

This is Christmas is especially meaningful to me. I cannot believe that it has been an entire year since my last one. The deployment to Iraq that immediately followed and consumed the majority of my year feels like it didn't even take place. The fact that the only thing we wished for, that we could all gather as a family once again for Christmas this year, has taken place, is amazing and a blessing. Mixed with that relief is the knowledge that there is zero chance I will be in Iowa with my family for next year's Christmas. I have no idea when I am deploying again, or to where, but I know that it will overlap Christmas.

I hope that this Christmas finds all of you in good health and in the comfort of loved ones and friends. I pray that the meaning of Christmas does not get lost on you and that God can continue to bless you well into the new year. I thank all of you for the support that you have shown me and my family, and I pray that I can someday repay you in a way befitting your generousity.

In closing, I would ask that you keep in your prayers this day the mothers and families of Blake Howey, Nathan Windsor, and all the other fallen brothers of 2/7. This is their first Christmas without their sons and they must know that they're sacrifice as families is felt and appreciated around the country.

8 comments:

  1. Wishing you, your comrades, your family & friends, and your readers,

    a warm and peaceful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Jake from everyone down here in GA...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and all your friends and family. My prayers include you and all the military every day. May God be with you wherever you may go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and all yours, Marine.

    Also, thank you for the reminders on the truest meanings of Semper Fidelis.

    Semper Fi tends to degenerate down to just a slogan at times. You in the New Breed are adding more of honor, integrity and respect to the reality of the concept of Always Faithful with each passing day.

    Well Done. Semper Fi, Marine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a person who spent many years in the service I spent more years deployed over Christmas as I did back in home port. Even then since I was always single, I traded duty with the married folks and swapped for New Years.

    You do the best you can with what you've got and the Christmas days spent in both ways were freely given so that the rest of those we worked for could continue to have and enjoy theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you this Christmas and those to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas and a superfantastic New Year to you and yours, Jake.

    Hope it is a great year for you.

    God Bless!

    Deb & Zoe
    Texas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You hope you can repay us?!?! Jake, its we who owe you the big debt of gratitude.

    Happy Holidays. Enjoy the bowl game!!

    ReplyDelete