If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Top Ten Moments

  1. Coming home to my family and seeing my mom Terry Tate Office Linebacker six people trying to get to me.
  2. Dropping four 500 lb bombs on AQI in one day. Boom.
  3. Going to the UW-Michigan game with Clay and Jeff on Veteran's Day, watching them win, and then celebrating the entire night at Wando's.
  4. Attending my first Packers game with the Schmitts, making my infamous 4th quarter rally, and watching them come from behind against the Chargers.
  5. Listening to Clay blabber on about how much he loved me and dollar beers after getting all hopped up on morphine following his getting shot.
  6. Getting a combat meritorious promotion to Corporal while in Iraq.

  7. Watching "Unforgivable" for the first time on youtube. (don't watch it if you don't have a very loose sense of humor, or a filthy mouth)
  8. Watching my R.O, LCpl Colbert run across a road with machine gun rounds impacting around his feet...with a smile on his face because he was about to call in air support for the first time, only to have someone take the radio handset from him and do it themself.
  9. Making the much anticipated return to the South Bay, complete with Sunday Fundays, dollar beers, jet fuel margaritas, Union, Rockham, and everything in between.

6 comments:

  1. Jake, you are 1 in a million

    Thanks for all you do, you Marines are awesome

    Thanks for sharing your 2007 adventures in life, please keep it up in 2008

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun during the halftime show tomorrow... maybe that will mark a Favorite Moment of 2008 for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of the people you have never met and most likely will never meet, I want to wish you a Happy New Year. Thank you for your service to our country.

    On Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I f#@kin' love you, man...haha Happy New Year's brother, Scout/Sniper in '08- No Parents, No F&*kin' Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake,
    I check your site almost every day and remain in awe. Today, my 3yr old son was sitting on my lap while I read. He saw the Iraq slideshow, and when there was the pic of Iraqi kids, he said, "Kenny, there's Kenny." HE is Kenny, and he's definitely not in your pics, but he knows it's not a picture of him (he's got VERY blonde curly hair, and skin is more than a few shades different). What he was trying to convey was that it was kids like him. He's right. When you were in Iraq...you were fighting for kids just like my son, and we can see that in the pics, but I believe (and so do many MANY others) that your efforts had an effect on my own kids. I personally believe you protected my kids as much as you did the Iraqi kids, but what's remarkable is that my 3 yr old son recognized that as well. Oh, and when he sees pics of you in uniform...he says, "Daddy! Daddy! Good guy! Good guy! Bad guys, BOOM!" Amazing how clear things are in the eyes of a 3yr old.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some top ten list - you lead an exciting life. Just wait until you marry and have kids and the fun really begins.

    ReplyDelete