If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Well, I’m back on base. That’s depressing in itself. I can definitely say I was ready to come back to California, but today we had to pull rifles out of the armory, and I could definitely have gone another month without touching one of those.

A lot of people have been asking me what path I chose to take regarding my last two years in the Marines. . I love being a Marine, but when my four years is done, I plan on moving on to something else.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I’d rather run my head through a wall then go to OCS to become an officer. No offense to them, but I have seen what they have to do in Iraq. It generally revolves around choosing what color chem-lite is best for putting in the heads or where the most tactical place to put a canteen on your gear is. No thanks.

6 comments:

  1. I still vote for OCS. You've seen how some officers are. Why not step up to the plate and be the type of officer you would be willing to follow?

    The best way to change the system is from within.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd highly suggest not bringing up Anthony Swofford's name while you're in the STA platoon.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. STA will open up some opportunities for you if you choose to go LEO after EAS.

    No shame in leaving the Corps after your contract is up. You stood your time on the line.

    Too bad you're not going officer though. Hard headed mavericks with real field time are always valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just came up with something that might change your mind on the officer thing.

    I'm sure there's been some staff NCOs that have earned a bit of payback during your time in the Corps.

    As an officer.... see where I'm going with this?... access to the power to play a bit of creative revenge should be worth a few extra years at higher pay and access to better living quarters, and the kind of resume entry that automatically leads to a much better shot at executive level employment post EAS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake,
    I have really enjoyed your blog, the great article about you in "Letters & Science Today, and watching you as a season ticket holding BADGER. Don't give up on OCS. We need officers who can lead and improve the system! Anyone can be a civilian but not many can be a Marine!
    Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY, THAT'S NOT NICE. A MOM OF AN OFFICER MAY BE OFFENDED...ESPECIALLY ONE THAT SENT COOKIES TO YOUR PLATOON!!!! GUESS WHO?

    ReplyDelete