If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Today Was Hump-Day

Today, October 25th, 2007, was my official halfway point in the Marine Corps. I'm at the top of the hill looking down, past the midpoint, on the homestretch, cooking with gas and taking names.

It doesn't really feel like it's been two years. Two years is a long time, after all, that's half the time I spent in college, and that seemed to go by slower than this. Maybe its because that whole 'deployment thing' often times doesn't really feel like it happened, it kind of just remains a 7 month void in my life, where I'm not really sure where it went.

So now I have only 729 days left. It's crunch time. I know I'm getting deployed again, where and when I do not presently know, but that will be another 7 month 'where does the time go' card. I figure that it's time for me to figure out what I'm gonna do with my life post Marine Corps (besides the obvious answer of relax, not where a uniform, not salute anyone, not show up 15 minutes prior to the 15 minute prior rule, and not hurry up and wait...).

Oh yeah, so how did the Marine Corps treat me on my 2 year mark? They made me wake up at 3 am to show up at the armory, wait for the armorers for 45 minutes, get a rifle, make sure I was staged at the pick up zone by 5 am, only to not get picked up until 6:30 am, show up at the rifle range at 6:45 am, wait for the range coaches to show up at 8 am, sit through rifle classes until 11 am (I'm sorry, but by this point, I think I know how to handle an M-16), pretend to shoot at barrels until 1 pm, and then wait for buses to be late at 2:30 pm. It was a great day to be a United States Marine.

3 comments:

  1. Here is something to keep you going until you can stretch out at home. From a vet of wars long ago and far away.

    The author of I Wanna Go Home, Karridine, has authorized me to give away 1,000 free copies of the song to our men and women in the military for personal use only. However, recipients of a free copy can let anybody listen to it if they want. Members of the military can put it on their i-pod, use it on their computer, or make one CD.

    You can find out how to get a free copy at 1,000 Free Copies.

    If you want a copy for review e-mail me. My e-mail address is on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - a cheesehead in South BeachFriday, October 26, 2007 9:29:00 AM

    Jake, you have just described every office in the world. The only difference is that we have doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not short yet. Don't spend too much time thinking on afterwards. It just makes the now part stretch out longer.

    Oh, and one of the great secrets of life has been answered.

    Where does the time go when you're having fun? It's saved up for when you have to stand watch.

    ReplyDelete