If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Vegas Recap

Well, I suppose I should take a moment to step back and recap the events of the past weekend, I mean, after all, it was the only thing I seemed to talk about while I was in Iraq. Vegas, the Badgers, Vegas, the parties, Vegas, the blackjack, and so on.

The weekend turned out perfect. I am tempted to crown it with the "greatest weekend ever" label, but I will refrain for the time being. Friday afternoon I drove out to Vegas from 29 Palms with my two buddies Jeff and Clay, bags packed and a twinkle in our eye. We drove straight to the Golden Nugget where my father was staying, he greeted us with our phoned-in request of something tall, fruity, cold and with an umbrella. This is where the timeline begins to get blurry. After a quick dip in the pool we hit the showers and headed downtown to the strip. We met up with Lindsay, my Little China Doll, (who isn't Chinese), Amber, and their parents. You Badger crazies might remember them from the dance team a few years back. Frankly, if you do remember them, shame on you, there was a football game going on. We did a little late night burrito action, Madison style.

Then it was off to Pure Night Club at Caesar's Palace with a complete mob of about 30-40 guys and girls. Jenny Anderson hooked us up and got us all in, but not without an embarrassing "Okay, all the girls can come in, you guys wait outside here" moment. Puff Daddy, or P. Diddy, or the Artist formerly known as Puff, whatever he's called these days, made an appearence. I could actually not have cared less. The only thing that did for me was free up some space by the bar.

Saturday began with the Michigan debacle. Thanks guys. I took the "Michigan won't lose twice in a row at the Big House" angle and place some money on you. Soooo...I'm gonna go ahead and need that money back when you get the chance. From there it was off to Saguaro Fest IV, a big thanks to all those guys for the awesome hospitality. There we met up with my two friends from LA, Joe and Mike, and their dad. My first beer bong in quite a while was actually caught on tape. We're gonna go ahead and hide that one.

Jeff, Clay and I were able to stand on the Badger sidelines courtesy of John Chadima. Even though I had some cash riding on the spread, I was happy to lose that bet because the game was awesome. Yeah, I wish they could have blown them out, but seeing it live on the field was incredible.

That night we all went to a Badger after party at the VooDoo Lounge. We payed $100 that covered out cover charge and gave us an open bar. Best $100 I ever spent. I don't think they'll ever offer that 'deal' to Badger fans again. They didn't know what they were getting in to.

Didn't really sleep that night, but ended up at the Caesar's Palace Sports Book early Sunday and started placing some money on the NFL opener. Watched the Packer game with Joe, Mike, Clay and Jeff (big win boys) and won some cash on various other games.

We limped back to Pure that night again. One of the promoters, Chris Catalano, used to play on the Badgers with me, so we got the hook up there. It was another loooong night, that ended with me playing some late night, solo, blackjack. That has never been, and never will be, a good idea for me, but this time it actually worked out and I won about $150.

Monday I flew home. I decided to wear my uniform for my mom on the other end. I made the mistake of thinking that I might get decent treatment in it going through security. Instead I was completely molested in a plexi-glass closet by a disgruntled man whose father must not have loved him enough. It about came to blows. But, I'm over it and now I am home, in Iowa, with my family, and life is great.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Home Jake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake...

    The guy from TSA was just jealous because he looked more like the bellman at the Nugget in his uniform!

    enjoy your time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what the TSA needs to switch to (Copy and Paste into Address Line):
    http://www.superdeluxe.com/sd/contentDetail.do?id=D81F2344BF5AC7BB2D9855F80A8DAF97D78318AA8FC56AA9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't take the TSA shake down too personally, although it might have been meant to be so, seeing as how effective the anti-ist propaganda has been for the last few years.

    If our military are seen to be getting an easier pass through security while in uniform, we should then expect to see terrorists showing up at the boarding gates dressed up like military.

    ReplyDelete
  5. couldn't have been a better weekend- I definitely feel that we brought some serious class to the Veg... wait till Folwell and Kaiser show up, then we'll just burn the place down! Go Badgers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, love your blog, so glad your weekend turned out as well as you'd hoped. I'm a Badger/Packer fan living in Green Bay so I would hate for them to have let you down....

    welcome home

    ReplyDelete