Today I had the pleasure of speaking to my little sister's 2nd grade class at Lucas Elementary. Attempting to take what we did in the Zaidon and making it appropriate for seven year olds was pretty challenging. We're talking about kids that were 3 years old when this war started, and 1 or 2 when 9-11 happened. What did we talk about?? Spiders, candy, and what deserts are. I brought in all the PG rated photos that I could print. Their attention held pretty well until the Fire Department decided to run a fire drill in the middle of the presentation. Things got "Kindergarten Cop" real fast. While out on the lawn, I had to deal with having my shaved head rubbed and my hand held by a very clingy 7 year old boy, who asked me to be his best friend. Once back inside I realized that my moment had passed and wrapped things up with a few more questions, which included the awkward "do you carry a gun?" and "what are bad guys?"
Top Lucas School Quotes
- Me: "Do any of you speak a second language?" Some girl: "I speak regular."
- Me (pointing to a girl with her hand raised): "Do you have a question?" Her: "I don't like talking out loud (pouty face, arms crossed)"
- "Do you have a teammate?"
- "Can I touch your head?"
- "Me and him are best friends." said kid who was obsessed with me.
- Me (pointing to boy with arm raised): "Yes, do you know the answer." Boy: "No, I'm just stretching."