If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lucas Elementary School


Today I had the pleasure of speaking to my little sister's 2nd grade class at Lucas Elementary. Attempting to take what we did in the Zaidon and making it appropriate for seven year olds was pretty challenging. We're talking about kids that were 3 years old when this war started, and 1 or 2 when 9-11 happened. What did we talk about?? Spiders, candy, and what deserts are. I brought in all the PG rated photos that I could print. Their attention held pretty well until the Fire Department decided to run a fire drill in the middle of the presentation. Things got "Kindergarten Cop" real fast. While out on the lawn, I had to deal with having my shaved head rubbed and my hand held by a very clingy 7 year old boy, who asked me to be his best friend. Once back inside I realized that my moment had passed and wrapped things up with a few more questions, which included the awkward "do you carry a gun?" and "what are bad guys?"


Top Lucas School Quotes
  • Me: "Do any of you speak a second language?" Some girl: "I speak regular."
  • Me (pointing to a girl with her hand raised): "Do you have a question?" Her: "I don't like talking out loud (pouty face, arms crossed)"
  • "Do you have a teammate?"
  • "Can I touch your head?"
  • "Me and him are best friends." said kid who was obsessed with me.
  • Me (pointing to boy with arm raised): "Yes, do you know the answer." Boy: "No, I'm just stretching."

15 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT post! Kids, ya gotta love 'em! At this point in time Jake you have a lot of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's nice of you to visit kids in school, they always have curious questions.
    and rubbing shaved heads is like rubbing peaches... except it brings good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really sweet that you went to your sisters school. I also like the quotes another reason why I want to be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is great that you went to speak with the children. It gives them the chance to see someone who is realy a soldier. Children are the purest souls on earth and you should be proud that they all want to be your friend. You never know what kind of an impact you had on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake,
    This is LCpl Windsor's mom. What a great big brother you are. It was so very nice to meet you this last month. What a coincidence that you have a younger sibling as Nathan does and the school being of the same name. Lucas and his classmates loved having his brother visit whenever he was home on leave. Keep up the good work. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in my college days, I subbed in a kindergarten glass - I swore I would never do that again. It was the wildest job I have ever done - and I taught high school kids for years after that. My hat is off to you. Maybe if I had told them I carried a gun...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marine, football player, humanitarian, now elementary school guest speaker? Jake, are you gonna run for office?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OUTSTANDING! Your parents have got to be so proud of you. You are such a wonderful human being. I've got a 2nd grader at home and it's always an adventure when she opens her mouth!

    Thanks for the laugh this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. does your school tour stop at overbrook high school in west philly?

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are my little rascals :) and they have already started preparing a care package to send over to Iraq for kids their age!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say you are AMAZING!! As a mother of a military son, I will tell you a secret. Anytime a marine from our local base visits my 2nd graders class, for him it is like seeing his big brother who isn't near us. So you probably made some little girl or boy feel very good that day; in addition to your little sister!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh...and yet they were probably smarter than the group that questioned Petreus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think taking the time to talk to young children is one of the biggest gifts a person can give. As a mom, I know the people who impact my daughters the most are the ones who indulge their questions no matter how mundane or silly, the ones who truly listen and take 5 seconds to pat them on the shoulder. I'm sure speaking with them was not easy since much of what you've seen no one should have to see and I'm also sure your sister thinks you hung the moon and stars.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhhhh.....I love it that someone else got to live "a day in the life of a teacher!" Isn't it amazing the things that come out of their mouth? It makes me smile to know you were there on the "hot seat!" Can't wait to read more.... We love you!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jake-
    Your very own niece is the absolute craziest 2nd grader alive, as you'll see in just a few days! The kids are so excited (and so are Darrell and I)!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete