If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lucas Elementary Revisited

First I need to clear up something that seems to be tripping people up about my visit to Lucas Elementary. When I said that I was visiting my sister's class, I meant the one that she is student-teaching at, not one that she attends. Not that big of deal, but it will clear things up for this story that she told me today about what happened the day after I spoke with her students.

Apparently, the day following my visit to the class, a young girl brought in a care package to send over to the troops in Iraq. Care packages were something that we discussed- how to put them together and get them sent over to troops on the ground.

Well, this young girl brings in a care package that she had put together the night before. All day, curious kids were asking her what the package was, and, as she explained it to them, the kids would go back to their desk and grab something, be it a pen, pencil or eraser, and add it to the package. Later in the day, my sister Meghan had this girl get in front of the class and talk about her package. The contents included some used toys, some clothes, opened food in zip-lock bags (probably not the best idea...), used pencils/crayons/markers, etc.

Here's where it gets simultaneously hysterical and adorable. Apparently, as this girl is wrapping up her presentation, a girl who was seated stood up, and, without saying a word, took off her necklace that she was wearing, walked up to the box and gently placed it in. She then solemnly returned to her seat. A moment passed, and another girl got up, removed HER necklace and did the same. Yet another girl stood, opened up her desk, removed an eraser and added it to the box. My sister said it looked like a memorial service. She told which girls they were and I just about died laughing, picturing it in my head. Nothing beats kids.

3 comments:

  1. Great post...and you're right that nothing beats kids! Your post was a great coincidence for me; the office where I work sends care packages once a month to Marines posted on the "AnyMarine" website. Your post was perfect as a reminder to others in our organization about the value of care packages in letting our servicemembers know how much we appreciate them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the little things like that that reaffirm your faith in mankind just when you need it the most.

    On 9/11, I had given my Captain $20 and told him to get as many donuts as he could to bring into the command post the following morning (we evacuated from the Pentagon to the reconstitution site, but were going back in the morning).

    Well, he cam in that morning with 30+ dozen donuts and my $20. While he was at the Dunkin Donuts, a man behind him asked if he was in the building. He said yes, and then the man says that he will take care of his order. Then a girl behind them says that she didn't go out partying the night before (not too many did...) so she had some money to kick in. And a few more contributed, even the manager comped him a few.

    Another day when I was trekking out to my car, a man carrying a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles asked me where he could drop them off for the workers. I pointed him in the direction of the relief tents.

    Off topic - Jake - have you applied to get an Officer's Commission yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Pay it forward" -- working wonders

    ReplyDelete