If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

It's starting to come down to crunch time for me to decide what I want to do with my next two years in the Marines. I was offered a slot to Squad Leaders Course, but I turned it down because I still think I might leave the company to look for greener pastures, and, although I really want to go to that school, I couldn't justify taking that training from someone else. Our lieutenant decided to send Washington instead, who some of you know (Katie and Lauren, he's the 19 year old you tried sneaking into a bar in LA, he says hello).

I am still juggling my options. Coming back with the squad would be great and a solid choice, but I can't help but think I can get somewhere else. I'm very seriously considering taking that. Recon is still on the table, they're hurting for bodies bad. MARSOC looks like it could be more challenging than I originally thought to cross over to (although I did get my secret clearence, thanks for keeping all those skeletons in the closet for me).

Not sure how it's all going to play out, but the bottom line is I'm probably gonna be back here in Iraq before too long.

9 comments:

  1. Just to let you know the wives of 2/7 love to read this we feel more informed thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear those character references helped. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to know that you will be home soon. I love reading your blog. I am sure you will make a wise decision on your future.

    I mentioned John Gill in a previous comment - I hope all is well with him. Your picture is still up on my blog.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got your college degree, have you ever considered becoming a Commissioned Officer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cpl Wood,

    Great blog you got going, I am on the other side of Fallujah working as a Marine Corps historian from Quantico. You have a lot of good choices in front of you... think about them, the Officer road should be a consideration. Check my blog at

    thegunnersworld.blogspot.com

    Keep up the great work.

    Semper FI

    CWO4 Sears

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, you have two years remaining on your contract? It's been awhile since I was in, but isn't Bn Recon and especially MARSOC going to require an extension/reenlistment due to the fact your training will eat up the bulk of remaining two years?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in case you're taking votes, I go with the officer option mentioned by CWO4 Sears.

    If you're committed to remaining enlisted, rather than an officer, can recon get slots to sniper school?

    Might as well go for it all, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all that you have done, are doing and will do for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jake

    I read your blog often - You are such an inspiration - Keep up the good work - Good to see you are carefully weighing your options for the future. Your parents must be so proud of you - Damm, I'M proud of you and I don't even know you. I'm old enough to be your mom and I'm telling you, the maturity, the commitment and the goodness in you are such an amazing thing to see in a young person.

    I'll be chiming in from time to time. In the meantime, take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete