If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

"BEAT IOWA!" Enough said. Well, not quite. You see I have an enormous distaste for the University of Iowa's football team and when I was in Madison last fall for a game, I picked up this pin at the bookstore. So I started rockin' it out here Full Metal Jacket 'Nam style, but the higher ups didn't see it fit into the "war on terror" thing. I don't see it that way, so here's to terrorizing the Hawkeye's this year.

One more Iraqi sunset behind us. I've seen probably around 150 of them and each one brings me closer to home.

Roberts with his promise right before he got on the freedom bird out of Iraq, if I see you in Vegas you might see him too.

Bullard, on patrol, with Colbert in the background.

This kid wanted to be a Marine, so I let him try on my gear. That flak jacket weighs about 60 pounds all together, so his dad had to help him out a bit.

This one wanted some candy.

Rocking out with some dude that I offended when I guessed his age to be older than his brother's. His response, "I have TWO wives, he has only ONE!", drew some laughs.






19 comments:

  1. Hey Bro,
    Thank you for your service, and courage to fight so that I can write on a blog. Thank you again for your service.

    Godspeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake,
    My name's Josh Gipper, I worked with Sara at the IMU and met you once in Madison. What's with the Iowa hatred? Sara better whoop you for it, they pay her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh....sarah probably made that pin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see a picture of Colbert. I feel like i know him after you described him in a previous post. Of course seeing him on the deck makes me wonder if he is there on purpose. ! Post a pic of Wherry behind his Ma Deuce. Keep the shiny side up Jarhead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake, I am glad to hear you are safe...well, as safe as you can be. Just know I think of you everyday and look forward to hearing what is new with you. I will keep you in my prayers and I am proudly wearing the shirt Sarah made for me..."My cousin if fighting in Iraq...bring him home safely!" Love you bunches.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Gip, didn't you know that I am working for the enemy? I'm not whoopin anybody except a hawkeye!

    Burrrrnnnn.

    And no, unfortunately, I didn't make that pin, but I wish I had! (And I would have done it better, boo-ya)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog Jake.

    Thank you for your service, and come home soon (even if you do decide to go back). :)

    God Bless.

    Son of an ex-Army soldier, brother of a current Navy AE

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, time to clue us all in about the reason you hate Iowa football.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi jake-

    A blogger named Mark Sanchez is embedded with Marines near Fallujah, and he has posted some good pics with a story here:

    http://www.matt-sanchez.com/2007/06/the_days_start_.html

    Semper Fi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who gives a shit about the whole state of Iowa, the whole state of Iowa, the whole state of Iowa.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I was a fairly avid reader of your blog until you started the Iowa crap, being a native Iowan, I was slightly offended....but then I realized you just meant the University of Iowa and now I'm an even bigger fan!
    F* the Hawkes, they deserve it!


    Iowa girl in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two wives! No wonder he looked older than his brother. (hehehehe)Heck, when I'm at work, I feel like I have at least half a dozen!(I just know I'm gonna get smacked by your female readers for that)

    ReplyDelete
  13. jake i live in venice fl, right next to the beach 1/2 mile,my nephew was a devil doc,and when you come home we`ll buy the keg and the cups all you got to do is come here when you get home where in between tampa and ft meyers if you get in touch with me we`ll put you and friend up some where on the beach so you soak up sun sand and beer good luck hope to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  14. The little kid looks adorable in that oversized vest thingie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jake,

    I would like to buy a bunch of beanie babies & send them to you if you would like to have some them to pass out to kids. If something else works better let me know. I am willing to spend several hundred $'s.

    ReplyDelete
  16. anyone heard from jake? its been 11 days since his last post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just checking in on ya bud! It has been a while and we check a couple of times a day.

    As always you are in our prayers and our hearts!

    XOXO

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete