If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Randoms-

1. Today ended up being a HUGE day. Got off patrol at 1700, was in the gym by 1730, and we made it rain in there. Lots of weight got thrown around.

2. The Mifflin Street block party is either this weekend or it was last weekend...either way, I'm going to miss it and I am NOT happy. It is just about the biggest non Mardi Gras party in the world (that's a scientific fact by the way). It's in Madison at the UW, it begins at about 7:30 am and I'm not sure it ever ends, you just kind of parlay it into a Sunday Funday.

3. John Stocco is the new quarterback of the future for the Packers.

4. People in Iraq, living on dirt floors, know more about world politics than most Americans. I was on patrol today, stopped by a house to take a little rest, and was talking to two men that lived there. I'll begin by saying that my arabic is not very good, and I have come to coin a phrase, "sparabic", which is similar to spanglish. I find that when I am speaking to them and cant fint the right arabic word I use spanish from high school to fill in the gaps...things really start to get confusing. So I'm speaking sparabic with these guys and we actually get into a great talk about what's going on in the world. They knew all about C. Rice going to Syria, etc. and had a lot to say about it. All this from a couple of guys that don't even have access to a computer or the internet. Kind of depressing that these people know more than our 'enlightened' society.

8 comments:

  1. Mifflin Street block party is this weekend, just though you'd like to know. :) I'm a Madisonian and stumbled upon your blog ... I'm addicted! Thank you for your service to our country, you make us fellow badger alums proud. Take care and come home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "John Stocco is the new quarterback of the future for the Packers"

    Yes! JOH-NEEEEEE STOCCO!! He will surely go down as one of the most underrated QB's in Badger history.

    Very interesting that you've noticed what -- ahem -- little most Americans know aout history and geopolitics. Jake, I've been globe-trotting since I was 15, and it is amazing how little we know compared to most people in other countries -- even those in developing countries. Fortunately, it looks like you're using your UW education well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Wud,

    So how much iron did you throw up on the bench? We might have to match up when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jake,
    I just wanted to drop a note to tell you I think about you every day and that I read your blog all the time! I really missed seeing you this weekend. Stay safe and I will continue to pray for your safe return. I love you!
    ~Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Jake. It was great talking to you this weekend. You were missed by all and were the topic of many conversations. Take care!

    Much love,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake, you hit the nail on the head when you state that most Americans are underinformed in world affairs, despite all the technology that is at our disposal. A lot of that "information bandwidth" is gobbled up by puff pieces and celebrity news. Something tells me Iraqis have no equivalent to Paris Hilton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. exactly. the US would not be in iraq "helping" them if americans knew anything about the world. only ignorance gives someone the pride (arrogance?) to think they can pick up a gun and solve someone else's problem. and only ignorance makes people easily scared.

    if americans knew anything about the world, they would be more afraid of the domestic power of the military industrial complex than of iran and north korea, two two-bit states with no clout and no weapons.

    yes, without paris hilton and her equivalents, the US would never have attacked iraq. the "apolitical" always has a political function.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jake
    My son is in week six of recruit training in Parris Island. My wife and I love him, are worried for him and support him. I'm a disabled vet. Your Blogs keep it green for me. Keep going, keep safe and keep up the good work. We luv ya! You're right next to my son in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete