If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My squad got a taste of Iraqi Police tactics tonight on patrol. We were patrolling past an area that we had raided a few days ago and noticed a large IP presence there, about 10 trucks and about 40 IP's. Let me backtrack by saying that IPs scare the crap out of me. They rarely wear uniforms and most often can be seen in bullet proof vests and ski masks. They are actually scarier looking than most terrorists. Tonight was no different. After about the third time we drove by this area the IPs were gone, but they had left remnants of what they were doing...a burning car. We really don't know what happened, but we're guessing there was an argument, or they found someone they didn't like. Regardless, I think I saw Denzel Washington pull this one in Man on Fire.

3 comments:

  1. You don't know me but I just found out about your blog from my mom. How she found your blog, I have no idea.
    At any rate, I have read a lot of your previous posts and find what you have written so interesting. My brother, also a Marine, just got back from Fallujah last week with all fingers and toes intact, thank heaven. He doesn't talk a lot about what he experienced, and he's an extremely laid back guy as it is, so it's hard to tell how affected he may be by his time there.
    Reading your blog has given me a slightly better idea of what he might have experienced. He wasn't a "grunt" like you, but he did go out on patrol, etc., and saw plenty of stuff blow up.
    Anyway, I wish you the very best and will pray that you make it home safe and sound. Thanks again for your interesting blog. I'll keep checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend's son went to Fallujah (just outside of it, actually) at the end of January. He's with the 2nd battalion, 7th Marines, Fox Company rifle platoon. He doesn't blog, so reading yours helps A LOT! I hope they don't stop you (as I heard today they may be doing).
    We have a horrible enemy, and it seems that "going to slay the dragon" is better than letting the dragon come to us. God Bless and protect you and ALL of our brave soldiers for going to the "dragon's cave"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lori lett, the people fighting our army in iraq are doing so because we invaded their country (or neighboring country).
    the "dragon's cave" is a melodramatic way to say "hornet's nest."
    how are our allies (the frightening iraqi police described in this post) less "horrible" than our "enemy"? it is clear that our wonderful allies are every bit as barbaric as the "terrorists." this kind of hypocrisy plagues the US every time it invades or destabilizes another country. how about them "contras" salvadorean death squads our freedom loving government supported and funded in the 80's in central america. were they really better than the leftist groups they opposed? much like colombia now. the answer is, no better and often much worse.

    we are just picking a side in someone else's civil war (a civil war we were instrumental in getting started) and labelling the other side, "terrorists." labelling is a lazy substitute for understanding history.

    democracy forever.

    ReplyDelete