If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Wise Words

I got an email from my Aunt Patsy and Aunt Dolly last night. They are actually my dad's aunts and they live in Arizona. One was a nurse and the other a nun, so they have always had a great perspective on things. Part of their email said this-

"It is so easy for all of us to fall into a "get even" response that would only bring us to the level that we despise in those others who perpetrate these horrible deeds. To rise above our anger and grief we need to pray even for our enemies! They, too, are doing what they believe is right, even though we know that to repay injustice with injustice is the greatest injustice of all! You will have to trust that what you are doing will help to eventually bring an end to all hate and all evil. Keep your hearts at peace knowing that you are doing your best to bring an end to this terrible war."

It is so true. I can't allow whoever did this to my friend to compromise who I am, or the nature of the mission we are doing. As much as I wanted revenge on Sunday, I know that revenge won't bring Howie back. We will bring justice to whoever did this, that I know, but we will do it at our level.

Thank you all for your support in trying times.

7 comments:

  1. Yes Jake, you are loved by many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be
    issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the
    traditions for generations of warriors past."
    Cpl. Jeff Sornij, USMC

    Jake, you are the best of the best.
    You make a difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Jake. Those certainly are some wise thoughts from P & D. I know you are undoubedly someone that many other Marines look up to, both on a spiritual level and just as a man of good decision-making. Continue to set a high standard that others will follow. Lastly, and most importantly, take full advantage of the opportunity you have to spread the gospel to your fellow soldiers.

    Many prayers headed your way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake...your Denver connecton has you in our prayers. UJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good man Jake....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your aunties are wise women. And its good to know ur taking that wisdom...stay true to yourself, and always remember the values of the marine corps and most importantly the values your parents gave you. Be safe =)

    ReplyDelete