If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

I've Said it Before

And I'll say it again. I hate goodbyes. This weekend has been full of phone calls to people I love. Family, friends from college, friends from high school, friends from the South Bay, random people that I have met but made connections with. They all suck. The goodbyes, not the people. I understand what I am going to do, I know I am going to Iraq, but for me it has really just become a job, its not this 'noble' thing people keep trying to describe it as. That being said, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for the well wishes and the prayers. I am so blessed to have all of these friends and family and I will never take you for granted.

On a side note, saying goodbye to your mom for the last time before you step on a plane to go to war is like watching someone simultaneously shoot your dog and kick you in the balls while playing Rod Stewart in the background.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Jake, it is "just a job." But so is my job, and Brendan's and everyone else's, from the ER doctor all the way up to the President (regardless of what I think of this one, specifically). I may not agree with you all the time, but I very much admire your conviction; you showed it so much in your last few posts. I know it's hard sometimes. We all have our days. "I truly feel like I am making the world a safer place by going over there. That is all the rationale I need." Don't lose your confidence in what you are doing.
    Pick your head up; I'll send you some soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, it's been great reading your blog the past week or two. Although I'm pretty clueless about the military jargon you use some of the time, it's fascinating to read about what someone I know is going through. Best of luck over there.

    Brad Becker

    ReplyDelete