If you are looking for Team Rubicon, click here
This blog exists only as an archive. It is a journal that serves as a window into my life as a Marine combat veteran serving in Iraq and Afghanistan; it was written with no filter, no politics and no agenda. Please feel free to follow my journey from beginning to end. Welcome to my life.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Absolutely Asinine

My life the last few days has been absolutely miserable. The BS continues to trickle from the top down. Yesterday, Wednesday, we got word that we had to completely clean our rooms for a final inspection by the batallion commander, what we call a 'field day'. Since it was our last one and we were moving out we took it pretty seriously and conducted whats called a Chinese field day, where you move every piece of furniture out of your room, scrub the floors, walls and baseboards, and then scrub all the furnitre down outside before you move it back in.

So that took all day. Then word gets passed that we have to be completely packed for Iraq, as if we're leaving, and that no personal items are allowed to be in our rooms any longer. Awesome. We have five days before we ship out, so you decide to take our tv's, computers, stereos, our happiness. Great morale booster right there. We're already going to be without it in Iraq for at least seven months, so why not make it seven months and five days? I mean, it didn't really bother me too much, I love staring at cinder block walls. But they hadn't even pulled out their trump card yet. They then said that we had to turn in all of our bed linens. Blankets, sheets, pillows, everything. I slept on a bare mattress last night. When we asked what we were supposed to do to stay warm they said "you were issued sleeping bags, right?". Right buddy we were, but guess what??? We were told that all had to be packed away, as if we were leaving in the morning. And what about our pillows? "Pretend like you're in the field" Awesome, I'm gonna be in a 'field', called 'Iraq' for the next seven months, lets start playing pretend now, wouldn't that be great? We may as well start acclimatizing ourselves to misery now I suppose.

Well today we found out our floors weren't good enough, so I spent most of the morning on my knees, scrubbing away with Scotch pads and Pinesol. Oh, but in between all that, I had to go get infected with small pox (or immunized, depending on who you ask). Let me do the math for you on this one. I now am infected with this, and I'm going to be sleeping on a bare mattress that some other poor Marine is going to be sleeping on in about a week's time. A lot of bright minds are at work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment